Clear all

Help backing up config before SD card reimage

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@john-hughan)
Contributor
Topic starter  

I had a very brief power outage here (2 seconds or so), and afterward my 2-ball RGBLED coffee table is dead.  After previous short power outages, the table reverted to hotspot mode, which was easily fixed, if still somewhat annoying.  But this time, even after power cycling the table multiple times, the ball doesn't move, the table doesn't light up, and it doesn't join my WiFi network or show its own hotspot network.  There are some blinky lights on th hardware under the table, but that's about it.

So I'm resigning myself to having to reimage the SD card, which will be the second time I've done so (the first having been after a firmware update that went sideways for reasons that Sisyphus couldn't determine).  But before doing that, I'd like to be able to back up the significant number of tracks and playlists I've set up.  I was previously told that this can be achieved by browsing to "/home/pi/sisbot-server/sisbot" and backing up the "content" folder.  But when I inserted the SD card into my Windows system and read it with DiskInternals Linux Reader, after getting to "/home/pi/sisbot-server"...there is no "sisbot" folder.  I only see backup, siscloud, sisproxy, and tracks.  The tracks folder does have a substantial number of tracks, but I remember there being a JSON file in the content folder that needed to be backed up in order to capture playlists.

If a recent firmware update changed where this data is stored, I'd like to know what I need to back up before reimaging this SD card.  Or does the lack of a "sisbot" folder under sisbot-server just mean that my data is hosed?

On a related note, it sure would be nice if this thing handled short power outages a bit better, and perhaps even allowed settings and tracks to be exported and imported.  I work in IT, and I got this table to help relax and take my mind OFF of technical issues/projects like this, not to gain new ones -- and yet I seem to have encountered more than few technical glitches of varying sizes since I got this only a few months ago....

(@matt2)
Admin

John,

I'm sorry for the issue you've had. We are aware of unintended power cycling causing issues and have been working on a new card image that is hardened against this kind of failure. I know that doesn't help you right now, but I will make a note to come back and let you know when that image is available for use.

As for your card, if the sisbot folder is gone, I would say your data is gone. The content folder lives inside that folder. Out of curiosity, were you interacting with the table during the short power outage?

Thanks,
Matt

ReplyQuote
(@john-hughan)
Contributor
Topic starter  
Posted by: matt2

John,

I'm sorry for the issue you've had. We are aware of unintended power cycling causing issues and have been working on a new card image that is hardened against this kind of failure. I know that doesn't help you right now, but I will make a note to come back and let you know when that image is available for use.

As for your card, if the sisbot folder is gone, I would say your data is gone. The content folder lives inside that folder. Out of curiosity, were you interacting with the table during the short power outage?

Thanks,
Matt

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the prompt reply. Nice to hear that this is at least being worked on, although I'm curious to know what it is about the current image that would make the loss of an entire folder like this possible to begin with. I was not interacting with the table at the time of the outage, in fact it may have even been asleep at the time.  I can't remember for sure since I was in another room.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop