Drinks on the table

9 Posts
3 Users
5 Likes
(@philipp-merz)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Dear all

Probably this question has already been asked, but I didn't find anything about it. So please excuse me, if I do a mistake as a newbie here. My Metal Side Table is on the way.

I experienced, that it isn't the best idea to put a coffee on a piano. Please don't ask why…

Is it possible, to put liquids on Sisyphus tables? Sure, one is able to put any beer or so on it. But what happens if something is spillt? Is it a problem regarding sand or electronics?

Thank you for your experience or a link, where my question is answered.

Regards, Philipp

(@jillbolshawgmail-com)

Philipp, I never put drinks on the table-  one spill would stain the display, regardless of the electronics.  Probably the only design flaw I’ve noticed.  Unfortunate, as it pretty much makes the unit useless as a table.  Even a raised ridge on the outer edge of the glass top to keep spills from going over the edge would have helped!

Philipp Merz reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Welcome to the forum, Phiipp!

It's absolutely fine to use the table as a table -- including beverages!  The glass top covers the entire table and is tempered, meaning it's not only easy to clean, but also extremely durable. The glass rests on a rubber gasket which should prevent liquids from reaching the sand, but obviously, it is important to clean up a spill as soon as possible. The electronics are located under the "pan" that holds the sand and is at no risk of getting wet.

Bruce

Philipp Merz reacted
ReplyQuote
(@jillbolshawgmail-com)

Bruce, I bought my table in April of 2022.  I DO love it!  However, my glass (coffee table) sits on 4 small pea-sized bumps, and the rest of the glass floats (I will try to attach a photo), but I can slip a piece of paper easily under the glass and into the sand area, which is how I would think a spill would flow.  Is there an improvement/addition I can buy that sets down a gasket around the whole circumference?  (See pic, below)  There isn’t much of a gap (maybe 1/16”?), but definitely air space, not even close to a seal of any kind!

This post was modified 1 week ago by [email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

@jillbolshawgmail-com Sorry , I should have mentioned that the full-seal gasket was a design modification we made last year. It accompanied another design change: replacing the separate LED shade ring for a black-out silk screened directly on the outer area of the glass. The gasket doesn't fit correctly with the shade ring in place. I would emphasize -- although spilled liquids that make it to the edge of glass can wick around the edge, but generally do not go beyond the top of the powder coated metal frame. As long as you clean the spill reasonably soon after it happens, it is very unlikely that any liquid will make it to the sand.

ReplyQuote
(@jillbolshawgmail-com)

Bruce, thanks for the information!  Can the updated modifications be purchased/retrofitted to my older model table?  I would love to invite my coffee friends to sit around / enjoy my Sisyphus, but it’s awkward when I don’t want them to put their coffee cup down.  We still love our Sissy,, walk thru the room several times daily to check up on “her”, but never actually use the room for fear of something getting spilled.

-Jill

This post was modified 6 days ago by [email protected]

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

@jillbolshawgmail-com Sorry, we don't sell a gasket + new glass kit because applying the gasket correctly is not easy to do. Your room is lovely, but it's too bad you're overly cautious (IMO) about putting things on your Sisyphus.  It's glass -- perhaps the easiest surface there is to clean repeatedly. Again -- the only caveat is that if there is a spill, you don't leave it for a long time (perhaps allowing it to run over the edge which is more a problem for the carpet beneath the table than getting onto the sand). As long as a spill is not unattended (like a leak from a water-filled flower vase), clean up is quick and easy and not a risk to the table. Here are a couple of examples from our Instagram grid, way back:  Aftermath of party at the shop and my coffee spill (I nearly always have a cup close by).

ReplyQuote
(@jillbolshawgmail-com)

Okay, well, if you think it’s relatively safe I’ll start using it more. Not worried about cleaning the glass, just worried about liquid wicking under the glass and dripping onto the display.  In retrospect, though, I guess that’s like buying a beautiful diamond and putting it in a safe deposit box rather than wearing it-  thanks for the advice!  (As I said before, I DO love “her”, and even after 2+ years I alter my path through the house daily just to see what she’s up to!) 😊

Bruce and Philipp Merz reacted
ReplyQuote
(@philipp-merz)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Thank you both for the interesting discussion. The table will be inaugurated with a homebrew today. But hopefully not the way as a ships christening. 

Bruce reacted
ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop