I applied the 1.10.13 update to my wood base table yesterday. Since then, I am unable to successfully operate the table via Chrome as I could before the update. I try to connect to sisyphus.lan:3001 as I did before the update, but am faced with a Sisyphus-logo'd page with the message "Scanning for nearby tables... Connecting..." but nothing happens from there no matter how long I wait or times I refresh the page.
If instead I connect to the local IP address, as in 192.168.86.35:3001 I am able to then proceed as I used to and operate the table as expected. Of course the address may change over time, so would prefer to connect via local hostname.
Interestingly, the contents of the page served by accessing both by hostname and by IP are identical. The subresources like CSS and JS files work from both pages - I can both access http://sisyphus.lan:3001/prod/styles.css and http://192.168.86.35:3001/prod/styles.css so assume they can also be loaded from the page.
If I use Safari using http://sisyphus.lan:3001 I get further using the hostname, but arrive at the "No table found!" error page. I still have to use http://192.168.86.35:3001 with Safari to actually operate the table.
@pawliger - Thanks for the detailed report. I'm going to pass this along to Micah, who is most knowledgeable about connectivity issues. On occasion, I have run into table-name aliasing failing as well (with direct IP address working). Re-installing Bonjour print services and rebooting has fixed it for me (using a Win machine).
@pawliger - The correct URL is sisyphus.local:3001 not sisyphus.lan:3001