Clear all

Video to Track?

16 Posts
3 Users
2 Likes
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Hey folks: New to this community. I'm following an instructable to build my own version of this table, and have become obsessed with the following idea:

I want to create a workflow where I can execute motion tracking on a point in a video (specifically, a double pendulum, or those used car sales windsocks lol), export that motion tracking data as a vector path, and have the marble draw out that pattern. Or that's how I'm thinking about it, theoretically. 

As best as I can tell, most of these tables use either thr or gcode files, but I have minimal experience with those, and don't understand the basic workflow for even something like sandify. 

I know I'm starting from scratch here, so I appreciate any help that can be provided! 

Examples of this: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hXOEoH5q3Hw (1 hour of pendulus, fuzzy, but still satisfying. )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4MN-snYazc (clearer visualization, also has one of a triple pendulum.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n7JK4Ht8k8M (has some description of the math, and plotting the position on XY, which would also be a cool visualization, in addition to the actual physical motion)((there's also this cool color visualization which would be neat to also incorporate into the lights!))

(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

You got me curious that's for sure. Mayve Nuke can do it.
I gotta play around. 😛

https://learn.foundry.com/nuke/content/comp_environment/smartpaint/generating_vectors.html

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

I should post an update! I was able to use Blender to track the motion of the pendulum. I can even see their path data in my environment window! but i haven't the foggiest on how to export that path data as either XY info or as SVG data. My current plan of attack is to create an object in blender (that hopefully doesn't intersect) and export that. Then maybe I can add that to a fusion file and export STL to create the gcode. We'll see! This project is low on the totem pole of priorities, so it may move forward slowly. 

ReplyQuote
(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

Any way you could share the motion data? I bet it can easily be converted with Python.

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

@justin-carlson Sure! I can upload the blender file. I don't know how to extract the motion data. I've tried several addons in blender but so far none of them worked*

*as in, I don't know blender well enough to know if it's me or the add-on.

If you are able to extract that and get an SVG or G code, please share with me the process! If we can incorporate it into blender, that'd be even better! I would use After effects or premiere, but blender took my motion and ran with it. Must be better at capturing motion. 

Blender file is attached!

ReplyQuote
(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

Awesome! Don’t see the file attached tho, I don’t think it made it! also please pack your Blender files with the following steps: Click “File” -> “External Data” -> “Pack All Into . blend” to pack your assets.

I appreciate it! And looking forward to helping you figure this out ^_^

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

There is a very high chance that I didn't actually attach it.. Thought I did but I guess it's good I didnt so I can package everything. 

The option you mentioned isn't there, but "Pack Resources" is, as well as "Pack linked libraries". I clicked both of those. There's also a check box item for "Auto-Pack resources." I checked that one and hit save again, so the (actually) attached .blend file should have everything. The video I used is split into like 1000 .png files, and I don't think it's in the .blend file, because it's 700~ MB, which I can't upload here. 

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

OK. I know why the file wasn't attached, since this just happened again. The file type isn't allowed. Here's a google drive link. Just hit request, and send a message if there's a space to.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oZ5avFnEz82e9SslfwafR5DrMLm5kAkA/view?usp=sharing

ReplyQuote
(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

great! I have requested access. Excited to take a crack at this for ya.

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Access should be granted! Definitely thrilled to see what you find out!

ReplyQuote
(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

I think you'll be pleased to know I found a solution for you!

I have included 2 python scripts in the original blend file. I basically joined all your tracks into one, converted to CSV, then converted to SVG.
It works great and when uploaded to the Sisyphus, the animation works!
I will attach the file next.

ReplyQuote
(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

File is attached! I hope it helps 🙂

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

That's great! thank you so much!!! any chance you could post a video of it working? 

Did blender allow you to export as CSV? what then converts to SVG?

ReplyQuote
(@virtualdmns)
Contributor

@robertgarvinsn yeah! so its all with the two python scripts I wrote for you, they run completely within blender you just gotta set the paths.
here's a video!

ReplyQuote
(@robertgarvinsn)
Contributor
Topic starter  

I wholeheartedly appreciate the file name for that video. Totally heard the echoing G hahahha.

Thanks so much! I may revisit this when I finally get the table done! It's getting close, may start cutting wood this week!

virtualdmns reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

This might be cheating, but simulating a double pendulum is easier than making one, videoing it, and capturing its path:

https://discourse.mcneel.com/t/pendulum-in-kangaroo/81266/12

I've never tried it as a Sisyphus track since it doesn't appeal to me aesthetically (the path that is -- the double pendulum itself I find very beautiful!).

virtualdmns reacted
ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop