Clear all

Markyland’s palm v2 in color

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@heropup)
Contributor
Topic starter  

I need to figure out how this track was made!  I really like how each closed region has a different texture.

(@bruce)
Admin

@heropup -

Sweet pic! The color is using LIFX, yes? (We're evaluating some alternatives - will be writing about and showing them soon...) 

ReplyQuote
(@heropup)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Yes, color lighting courtesy of LIFX Z strips.  Because I already have most of my home on LIFX lighting, this was the natural choice.  Since LIFX also allows control of the lights while I’m not on my home WiFi, whereas this is not yet the case for Sisyphus, it is definitely more convenient at this time to illuminate the table with these.

That said, I am curious to find out how you’re going to integrate color lighting with the table, as this would admit track and/or ball position dependent color lighting, something that LIFX can’t do.  For me, I would like a way to see the status of the table and control it when I’m not home, but that’s probably very complicated...?

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

LIFX Z is great for a ready-made, off the shelf solution. Plus, as you note, it is cloud-based, and hence ready for remote conrol  (from outside local router), which Sisyphus is not (yet). LIFX does have what looks like a well-documented API, and could be connected to table position via that route, but we haven't dived into it (yet). The down-side of LIFX Z is that the "quantum" of control is a group (zone) of 6 RGBW LED's, and I'm assuming the circuitry on their strips is proprietary, and takes advantage of being able to use 24V (as opposed to 5V for all other individually addressable LED strips). I'm guessing the 6 LEDs in each zone are wired in series makeing it possible to use a higher voltage, and hence far lower power supply current to produce the same wattage. I'll be posting soon about our prelim findings comparing LIFEX Z to "standard" 5V SK6812 strips  (both 60 LEDs/m and 144).

As for dev of over-web Sis control - this is underway, but no definitive date for release yet.  Hoping within 2 quarters.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop