Clear all

Light emitting from space under glass

0 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@lemmuhj)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Just got in a coffee table and our family absolutely loves it! 

The table is set up and is functioning perfect. We immediately noticed the light is being reflected or basically emitted onto our walls/sofa/living room area. It seems  to be coming thru between the  glass and metal base of the table. The bumpers give just enough height to let the light escape! Thinking i will get some thick electrical tape and use some small pieces instead of the bumpers, that way the glass will almost be flush with the table. Any recommendations, thoughts?

(@bruce)
Admin

Glad you're enjoying your table! As for the light leak, we get this question occasionally, and have found a reasonable solution - a McMaster product:  https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3701&source=gmail&ust=1590162690976000&usg=AFQjCNH7X1L0whYPqKtLL4F6bQgZyqDRB g"> https://www.mcmaster.com/catalog/126/3701

To install, remove the rubber bumpers and adhere on the top surface of the steel hoop. 

ReplyQuote
(@dithermaster)
Contributor

Bruce, that is awesome. My original black bumpers fell off and I put some taller ones on, but the glass sits a little high, so I'd like to try this McMaster item. The link bring up a whole page of choices -- which one do you recommend?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@heropup)
Contributor

On the 3 foot diameter coffee table, the metal rim that supports the glass is about 1/2 inch in width, so I would not use any of the strips that are wider than that.   To be sure, I'd choose something as small as possible.  Also, I think the surface mount seals, rather than the flange mount, are the ones you should be looking at.

The other consideration is the material; there seem to be two types: EPDM and silicone.  The former is used in the seals found on refrigerators.  Silicone, however, is oil-resistant and in my experience, offers even greater durability.  However, I don't know if silicone might be too slippery for the glass, since some silicones don't have the "grippy" feel that other synthetic rubbers have (I used to have a silicone phone case, which I hated because it kept slipping out of my hands).  I think EPDM should work fine but I can't be sure.

Based on these considerations I would look at 93085K21, 93085K93, 93085K52, 93085K35, 9141K168.

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

Here's the one I've used - https://www.mcmaster.com/93085K86 . It's pretty unobtrusive and seals well.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop