Clear all

Mac downloads .thr files as HTML or TXT

8 Posts
3 Users
1 Likes
(@mgraf68)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Has anyone had an issue with the file formats for some of the custom tracks that have been published on a Mac?   I have tried downloading from Github some of the tracks from Dithermaster and Heropup, and they end up getting saved in a HTML file or txt file format.  (despite me using Download file as - and just saving it as is)

For some of them, I can go into GET INFO and just remove the txt or HTML extension, and confirm I want it to be a .thr file.    On some it has worked.  Others I end up having an error like the attached.   

One time on a custom track upload (forget which one) I had the table go into a noisy chattering mode like it was skipping gear teeth and scared the heck out of me that I broke it.   So I am not entirely sure removing the file extensions is the right way to fix this problem.

Thanks,

mark

(@mgraf68)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Part 2: I tried installing the SquareErase.thr file from  http://thejuggler.net/sisyphus/ ... it downloaded as a TXT file.   I removed the txt  extension, and it seemed to upload to the table fine.  But upon playing, everything stalled out and I got the attached error from within the phone app.  (which by the way, seemed to freeze the phone app from being able to do anything else, or navigate to another track - I had to return to my desktop and select another track to get it to move on.)

ReplyQuote
(@ndhutchison)
Contributor

Hi Mark

On the html download from git, I'm guessing what you did was try to right click on one of the .thr files in the git hub file listing, and click save as.  Unfortunately, what that did was send you to the html link, and not the file itself.

I suggest the following.  Click on the .thr file link, which will open a page showing a lot of numbers in one frame, and on the right of that frame you'll see "Raw/Blame/History".  Click raw which will open the file and you can "save as" from there.  That should get you a good .thr file without having to know how to use git.

The other option is to go to the main page, and look for the green "Clone or Download" box.  That will pull down everything in the git repo, and you can navigate to the .thr files from there.  It's faster if you want everything, but may get you a bunch of files you don't care about.

From my own site, (thejuggler.net) I suggest using the link at the top for the zip file.  Extract the zip, and you'll get the .thr files locally.  I'm not sure why the Mac is dowwnloading the files as txt, but I'll fire up my own mac and check for you.  Hopefully the zip will work in the interim though!

Neil

mgraf68 reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mgraf68)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the helpful instructions.  Yes, I was trying to do a right click and SAVE AS from the original listing that showed the JPG, PNG and THR files.

I did try to follow your instructions for Github by clicking on the THR file, which then brought me to the screen like you said.  I clicked on the RAW button, but all that did was open the set of numbers in a blank web browser page.   SAVE AS then gave the option to save as a TXT file or as a web archive.  

I thought it might be some funny Safari behavior, so I then tried Chrome, clicked the THR file, right click on RAW, SAVE AS gave me a THR file format option.   It loaded to the table fine, and is playing OK for now.  So maybe that is the final trick - to use Chrome.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Sorry for this hassle (and thanks Juggler!) - this will all be a whole lot easier once we get our sh*t together and have time to organize a decent repo in one spot on our site. In the interim - the easiest thing to do is follow Thejuggler's directions for downloading a zip file of the whole repo (don't worry - it ain't that big). Then browse it and you will rapidly find the thr files. Once you extract them you can delete the zip. Those files should be golden (open them and you should see a long list of lovely numbers (two per line)). Notice that the first Rho is 0 or 1, as is the last. Feed these files to your Sis.

ReplyQuote
(@mgraf68)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Oh it's no hassle at all Bruce, I kinda figured it was mostly user learning/error.

As long as there is a ZIP available, I for sure can do it that way.   Interesting enough, the files within Juggler's ZIP show up on my Mac as executable type files, whereas the one I downloaded from the Github raw using my Chrome Browser save as shows up as a blank icon .thr file.   (File info screenshots attached).   Whether this has any difference to how they are interpreted by my Sis - I have no idea.   

I have uploaded them both to my table and we will see.

Dream world will be an app on my phone I can convert any picture file to, or even draw with my finger to generate a THR file.  🙂   I am not willing to pay for Adobe Illustrator just for this.   I wish I knew how to do that for you guys, but these workarounds are OK for now.   Love this thing.

I know all the improvements will come in time.  

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Don't want to burst bubbles - but - I don't think "any picture" can be well-converted into a continuous path*.

Converting raster to vector is non-trivial. Especially with the constraint of single continuous path.

But I do get the desire 🙂

*On the scale of a home-version Sisyphus table.

ReplyQuote
(@ndhutchison)
Contributor

Good to know you've got the files uploading and playing now Mark.

I don't believe there's any difference in the files from the Mac side.  It's interesting that one shows as executable, but the table won't care, it's interpreting the pairs of numbers, so you should be all set.

Let us know if there's any issues!

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop