Community

Battery/Solar Power...

Battery/Solar Powering  

RSS

(@dsheld)
Contributor
January 21, 2020 10:18 am  

Has anyone power the Mini using batteries or solar charged batteries? I's like to put my Mini on a table that is not close to an outlet. What are the power requirements?

(@bruce)
Admin
January 30, 2020 10:33 am  

@dsheld

Most of the power is used by the lighting - the motors use <10w. I haven't tried solar, but 12V lithium battery packs work well.

We haven't added lithium batteries to our "parts store" up yet on our site. In the meantime:  I've tested two lithium packs from Amazon - both work fine, just depends on how long you want them to last between charges. If you search on Amazon for "12V lithium" you will find a wide array of choices. Here is what I tested:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MF70BPU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I also have used a bigger and more expensive one of the same brand. It lasts longer, but is more expensive. I was testing on a side table - your Mini take less energy (fewer LEDs) - so the smaller one may be fine. There are several choices that have both 12V (which is what you need) and 5V coming out of a USB port which is nice for charging things. There's nothing complicated about using them - their 12V connection will fit with the barrel connector on the cord that ships with your Mini. Let me know if you have any questions.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Working

Please Login or Register