2 Users
0 Likes
(@hdubose1)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Bruce,

Have you seen this?

http://www.dstrict.com/arttechfactory/kr/65-Public_Media_Art_1.html

I bet there would be huge demand for a scaled-down, table-top version of this. 

The possibilities for what to display "inside" are limited only by the imagination.  In addition to waves, you could have dancing fire, bouncing balls, the solar system, three-dimensional versions of the geometric shapes from the Sisyphus table, splattering paint, moving sand, rain, etc, etc.  Just like with the Sisyphus table, there could be a multitude of different animated patterns - with accompanying sound effects - that could be organized in a playlist or put on random shuffle. 

Here are examples of other animations that the company that made the wave box have done:

http://www.dstrict.com/arttechfactory/kr/64-Nexen-UniverCity.html

You guys seem well-placed to make this a reality, given your experience with combining physical design and software into a mass-manufactured, app-controlled art object and your manufacturing, logistics, sales and support infrastructure.  I also suspect that your existing customer base for the Sisyphus table would make a natural market for something like this!

Just an idea, but I hope that you run with it.  I'll be your very first customer, if you do!

(@bruce)
Admin

@hdubose1 - I've seen clips of one of their pieces at CES. I'm sure this kind of thing appeals to loads of people. But for me, although it's enormous, it's just another "rectangle" (the term I use when referring to the explosion of screens everywhere in our public and private lives). While I love using technology in the making of art, something about screen-based media just doesn't resonate with me like real reality does (controlling the movement of things with mass, as opposed to just photons). Putting a screen in a table top already exists for gaming. Apologies if my response seem pointed - not my intention, and I very much appreciate you and others sharing ideas like this. Just being honest about my take.

ReplyQuote
(@hdubose1)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Bruce, I totally hear what you're saying about preferring to work with real objects in real space rather than electronic ones. I still vastly prefer to read real books as opposed to electronic books for similar reasons: I enjoy the tactile experience of turning pages, the heft of the book in my hands, being able to dog-ear pages with favourite passages, and the aroma of the paper and ink.  Electronic books are, without a doubt, more convenient.  But, they'll never replicate the pleasure of reading a real book, for me. 

One point of clarification - which I don't in any way expect to persuade you to reconsider making a scaled-down table-top version - but the giant waves in the first link that I posted are actually "inside" a large, rectangular box with screens on two sides and that uses anamorphic animation to simulate a three dimensional experience.  

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Fair point. But it's still just electrons (slight mass), purposed toward moving photons (massless). Certainly not not "real" in the particle physics sense. And certainly capable of moving humans to feel emotions. But not tangible. That's my bias.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop