Connect to WiFi that requires Username and Password

0 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
13 K Views
(@ohlrogge)
Contributor
Topic starter  

I just received a new 36" Sisyphus table as a gift.  I have it plugged in and I am able to connect to the Sisyphus network via my phone.  But, when I try to instruct the table to connect to my WiFi network, I am unable to do so.  

In particular, I am able to identify my WiFi network from the list of available options on the Sisyphus  App.  But, when I select one of the options and enter my password, it fails to connect.

My best guess is that this is because my WiFi network requires both a username and a password.  Since there is no option to supply the username on the Sisyphus app prompt, the attempt to connect to the WiFi network fails.

How can I rectify this so that I can connect my new table to Wifi?

Thanks

(@micahr)
Admin

Hello,

As you found the app does not currently support connecting to hidden networks. The workaround is to temporarily expose your network in your router settings. Connect the table to the network while exposed. Once the connection is made you can re-hide your network SSID and the table will be able connect now that it's stored SSID and password.

Please let me know if you're still having difficulty connecting the table to WiFi.

Micah 

ReplyQuote
(@ohlrogge)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Thanks for the response.  I have my table in my office at work and so I don't have the ability to make these changes at the router level.  Are there any other options?

Note: I'm not sure on the details of what constitutes a "hidden" network.  The WiFi networks at my office are visible to anyone, they just require both a username and password in order to connect to.

I have an iPhone with a mobile hotspot.  I tried using that as well.  But, oddly, the table doesn't find the mobile hotspot on the list of networks available even when, for instance, my laptop computer does.  Do you have any suggestions along the lines of how to enable the table to connect to a mobile hotspot on an iPhone?

Thanks

This post was modified 5 years ago by ohlrogge

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

Okay, this is a different scenario than I read initially, but now it's clear to me. 

The router you're using has a captive portal login. There are a couple obstacles to using a Sisyphus table on this type of network:

• Our app does not support establishing this type of connection.
  • Captive portals frequently have client isolation. So even if the device did connect the mobile app would not be able to communicate with it.
  •  If client isolation is not enforced it would be accessible to all others on the network.
  • Many organizations using a captive portal would consider this as not an approved device for connecting to their network.

Currently the only workaround is to have the network admin white list the device by mac address and ensure client isolation is not enforced. 

Thanks

This post was modified 5 years ago by MicahR

ReplyQuote
(@ohlrogge)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Ok got it, that is helpful.  How do I find the mac address for the table?

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

You'll need to connect to the table by SSH to retrieve it. I'll send details to your support case.

ReplyQuote
(@remcaffey)
Contributor

I see sisyphus Network...it connects but get no internet. Is that normal? Also have trouble connecting Bluetooth. It see it but can not connect. Pixel phone.

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

@remcaffey - When connected to the Sisyphus network, there is not internet since it is not connected to your router. To complete the connection and use the app, click the Android alert about no internet and approve the connection anyways. You do not need to manually connect with Bluetooth. Just keep bluetooth on while using the app.

Thanks,

Micah

ReplyQuote
(@weregrrl)
Contributor

Hi!  I'm in a similar situation as the OP:  I have my Sisyphus Mini at work, and plan to use the guest network for the connection, but I need to know the mac address of my Mini.  Could you please send me the instructions, too?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

I've reached through our support portal with directions. Let me know if you haven't received it.

We will also start exposing the MAC address in advanced settings is a future update

ReplyQuote
(@weregrrl)
Contributor

Thanks, Micah--and glad to hear about the upcoming update.  The advanced settings area is where I first looked.  🙂  I haven't received the instructions yet, but I've opened a request ticket to make things easier.

ReplyQuote
(@ghostndragon)
Contributor

I have a similar situation. I have a mini at work. I made the mistake of just tapping ok when it requested the password for my work network, and now I can't connect via the app and the mini doesn't have its wifi on, so I can't find it as a network. I hope this doesn't mean I have to haul it home so I can reconnect to the mini.

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

Rachel,

I'm not sure what your specific scenario is but if your work wifi has a password and you did not enter one the Mini will attempt to connect a few times. If it continues to fail it will go back to hotspot mode after 5 minutes or so. Power cycle the Mini if this is the scenario and you still don't see the Sisyphus network.

If you work WiFi doesn't have a password but has a captive portal than the Mini may have successfully connected to it but it will be stuck at the captive portal. In this scenario you will have take the Mini to a place the network is not available and run a factory reset to remove the credentials for your work WiFi.

If you're still having difficulties please send an email to support@sisyphus-industries.com

Micah

This post was modified 4 years ago 2 times by MicahR

ReplyQuote
(@spikethecat)
Contributor

I also need instructions on how to find the MAC Address.

ReplyQuote
(@micahr)
Admin

Hello!

The most recent app shows MAC address in settings>advanced.

Micah

ReplyQuote
(@off-c3n7er)
Contributor

This used to work and no longer does, as soon as you hide the network the Sisyphus table loses connection and starts broadcasting its own wireless.

Definitely need to support hidden wireless networks.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop