Table clock

7 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@r-deboer1966)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Hello everybody,

I think it’s a really nice thing to make a clock from your table. my idea is to make a new drawing of the time every 15 min.

what do you think of that 
perhaps Sisyphus can make that  in there next Software upgrade 

(@bruce)
Admin

Making the table display the time is feasible - but there's no single solution. And without the ability to do a "pen up," it presents an interesting challenge. I'd love to see it if/when someone comes up with a solution.

ReplyQuote
(@ddkengr)
Contributor

Bruce,

Is there a way to submit data to the table other than a .thr file? Basically, this could be done by running a program on the pi, and then writing a "single move" to a file that would be run immediately by the sisyphus.  The program would then wait 1 minute and then write another file.  Basically sisyphus would need to run a file automatically if found, and then delete it.  The pi program would then run in background and submit a new .thr file once a minute.

ReplyQuote
(@heropup)
Contributor

Maybe an analog approach?  After all, the table is circular.  Maybe a pattern that sweeps out a sector of the circle for each hour it runs, sort of like the hands of an analog clock?  The only issue is the time it reads would be a function of the motor speed.  There are moments when we say "time flies" or we feel like it's slowed to a crawl, but this idea might be taking things a bit too literally!

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

@ddkengr - Our dev team is working on that part of the API - both for position info to go in and out.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

@heropup - Analog would be the way I'd go. I've thought about this in the past - like the ball circles the table at some distance from the center, and "ticks" out or in once per rev,  incrementing the ticks in Theta. The fresh "minute line" would be the minutes hand. And I guess on the hour it could draw a Rho line of different length or direction? Wouldn't look like an "ordinary" clock though!

ReplyQuote
(@dithermaster)
Contributor

I've pondered this exact thing a few times (because I like awesome clocks). Something that draws new tick marks every hour and then draws something that progressively fills in the minutes would be pretty cool, and could have lots of variations. The trick is that the table draws tracks at whatever speed you have set. So you'd need a special timecode-based track format (or, like has been discussed above, take over drawing directly from a PC).

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop