Clear all

Design Question on Base Orientation for Making Tracks

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@crsolomon)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Simple question on orientation of the designs that are not symmetric - what is the correct "top" point to use as  the bottom and top of the design?   I assume that the 0,1 point is the "top" of the table and base the design off that reference point.   I have seen in the tracks that are in the Library that there is a range of choices - the face and serpent designs have a different base than the sailboat.  

I have written programs that can output a design in any angle, but I wonder if there are "rules" that should be set or followed.   

Any comments?

This topic was modified 5 years ago by crsolomon

(@bruce)
Admin

You touch on an interesting point. Yes, there is an absolute meaning of "up". It is determined by where "home" is for the Theta (rotational) axis - which is a physical sensor in fixed location. At this point in development, we haven't been religious about handling Theta - as opposed to Rho, where things are not at all forgiving if you start in the wrong place. For now, up is the Theta heading after the first homing after bootup (sensored). Tracks in a playlist start (Theta-wise) wherever they find themselves. (Ability to control this will improve...)

ReplyQuote
(@crsolomon)
Contributor
Topic starter  

So let me try to rephase your answer 

1) when you power up the table "theta" has an absolute meaning based on a sensor

a) you can determine that position by looking at the position of ball at 0,1 after say an initial  "Erase" routine.

2) After the 1st track play is complete - theta 0 now starts relative to the position of the ball when the new track begins.

is that correct?    

Again - most tracks are symmetric so the starting theta 0 is irrelevant.  It's just the ones that are pictures that end up "upside down" or "sideways".

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop