Option to reverse RGBW color rho?

0 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@belross)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Hi,

I love my 36" coffee table. A while back I upgraded the lights with RGBW NeoPixels and an Arduino and it was even more amazing. I was happy when the retrofit kits came out, so I ordered one. A customer service rep was kind enough to discount the kit by leaving the LEDs out (since I already had that) so I only upgraded with the light control board.

The NeoPixels work perfectly with the Sisyphus control board, but unfortunately I must have gotten something mixed up when I originally swapped out the lights - colors modes with a rho follow are inverted! If the ball is traveling clockwise, the colors shift counter clockwise. Short of ripping out the lights and reapplying them in the opposite direction (which would be a huge hassle - the adhesive on the strip is a one-time application and won't reapply very well) is there any way to fix this? I realize it would be a huge favor to add a setting for this in the app, but maybe there are other people in my situation who need the color rho inverted for some reason. ^.^

(@bruce)
Admin

It doesn't make sense, at this point, for us to add this option to the app - but it may be an easy code tweak for  you, if you are comfortable with SSH'ing in and changing some lines of Python. Let me know and I will ping our devs.

ReplyQuote
(@belross)
Contributor
Topic starter  

That would be perfect, I'd be happy to make the change myself. I'm a software developer by trade. Thank you so much!

ReplyQuote
(@heropup)
Contributor

The direction is reversed because your installation of your custom light strip is reversed relative to the direction that the board expects (e.g., clockwise if the board is expecting anti-clockwise).  If you installed the NeoPixels strip on the same backing as the original strip (there is just enough space on the backing to do this), then it needed to be placed in the opposite orientation as the original strip, because once you flip over the backing so that the NeoPixels strip is on the top half, that reverses the orientation.

In other words, if the original Sisyphus strip is installed anti-clockwise, then the NeoPixels strip needs to be installed clockwise on the same backing, then the entire backing is pulled out and flipped over so that the NeoPixels are now on top of the original strip.  If you do not flip over the backing and leave the NeoPixels below the original strip, the illumination of the sand field will be uneven because the LEDs are mounted too low.

ReplyQuote
(@belross)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Yeah that's pretty much what I figured happened hehe. I simply removed the original LED strip and put the NeoPixels in their place in the same orientation, including the connectors. At this point it would be a big hassle to remove, flip, and re-adhere the NeoPixels. I'd rather try SSHing and fiddling with the code myself if that's an option. Could someone please point me in the direction of SSH instructions/login credentials? I've seen a few posts mention it but haven't found anything concrete.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Here's what our dev suggests:

Navigate to home/pi/sisbot-server/sisbot/content/lights/

In led_main.py, on line 302, add a negative in front of theta.

# update, regardless of socket_data
update(-theta * 57.2958 + led_offset + default_offset, rho, photo, primary_color, secondary_color, strip)

Let me know if it works :).

ReplyQuote
(@belross)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Awesome, thank you so much! I still don't have access to the SSH credentials though. Could you please email those to me?

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

email sent

ReplyQuote
(@belross)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Was able to log in and make the change and that seems to have done the trick.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop