Clear all

Acrylic top for table?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@patti)
Contributor
Topic starter  

Has anyone successfully used an acrylic top for the table rather than a glass one?  I take the top off of my end table regularly, either to flatten the berm or to take close-up photos, and acrylic isn't prone to shattering and sending shards halfway across the room if I mishandle it.

I ordered an acrylic top and it's fine except for one problem--  I wind up with sand stuck to the underside of the acrylic due to static electricity.

Bev
(@beverly)
Contributor

We did test acrylic early on on our prototypes - but abandoned the idea because of the static issue you describe. However - you needn't worry about the glass shattering. It's tempered, and not easily broken. In the unlikely event you drop it on a stone / ceramic floor, it could shatter (and the pieces could end up spread over a large area), but they would not be sharp - more like small irregular cubes. Here's the result of our early "toughness testing" - https://www.instagram.com/p/BTkTRMoAYMN/

Bruce (accidentally signed in as Bev)

This post was modified 3 years ago 2 times by Bev

ReplyQuote
(@patti)
Contributor
Topic starter  

That's good to know, thanks!

I live in a warehouse loft and my floors are the original century-old concrete.  In the 20 years that I've lived here I've shattered quite a lot of stuff and I occasionally find random bits of glass in odd locations.  I guarantee that my handling a glass tabletop regularly would become a matter of "When?" rather than "If?"

I will continue experimenting.

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop