Clear all

dampening noise from table

0 Posts
4 Users
1 Likes
(@davidp)
Contributor
Topic starter  

My daughter figured out a way to make my table much quieter.  She first noticed that the sisbot (if that's the right term) made no noise at all when disconnected from the table.  However, she could feel it vibrating.  So she figured the problem was the transference of that vibration to the table.  The table itself then acts like a drum and amplifies the sound.  Next, she cut eight octagonal rubber washers out of a wide rubber band.  She added two to each of the four screw-fasteners (also, pictured below).  The octagonal shape made it easier to position the washers.  Finally, she did not tighten the screws all the way, and thus the metal part of the sisbot does not come up to touch the braces.  (She experimented with putting washers on both sides of the sisbot plate, but that did not work as well.)  At this point, the only noise we get is from the ball rolling through the sand.  My table is *much* quieter now.  She also has ideas for alternative ways of dampening the vibration.

Best,

David

(@bruce)
Admin

Thanks for sharing your daughter's discovery - sounds like she has great engineering talents! We haven't receiver many complaints of vibrational noise - but her solution is good to know about should others run into it.

ReplyQuote
(@rob-grishow)
Contributor

Good to know. We just got our Mini EX table last Friday and love it, but I've been wondering about the noise as it makes enough of a whirring noise when the room is fairly quiet.

I'm curious if something like this could be done to the Mini EX as well.

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

I'm very noise conscious myself. Can you tell me what speed you have your slider set at (if you have connected and changed the default speed)? Does it make sound when it's not moving (but still plugged in)? Thank you for describing the sound: whirring. That is very helpful! This is an ongoing hunt to make our system work as quietly as possible.

ReplyQuote
(@youngwillem)
Contributor

Hi Bruce,

My Mini EX also makes the whirring noise while in operation. It stops when I pause the track and returns the moment I hit play. It is loud enough to be heard from across the room, even at the slowest speed. It definitely drowns out any noise of crunching sand.

It gets really loud when switching to full speed.

Friends of ours have a metal side table. I don't remember their table making any noise at all when we visited.

I have tried capturing this on video. I am not sure how well it comes across:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/wHkzpjbRnTXBmMKB6

ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop