skip to Main Content
Adding Bottom Cover...

Notifications
Clear all

Adding Bottom Cover to Deter Cats, Toddlers from Investigating Wiring?

16 Posts
9 Users
22 Likes
(@sammedoshen)
Contributor
Topic starter  

We received our table last week, set it up without any issues, and we love it! We have been mesmerized watching it layout patterns. Our cats also have been mesmerized - which is not a problem as they walk on top of the table, but has us concerned about their interest beneath the table - wires primarily. Any thought/suggestion for a cover on the underside of the table - for new tables and also something that could be attached to existing tables? 

(@bruce)
Admin

We have this in our plans and will announce when available.

bernard8w, anthony.navarro, toddgneville2 and 2 people reacted
ReplyQuote
(@rberteig)
Contributor

Having lived with our three cats and a three footer for a little more than a month, I've become a lot less worried about the cats deliberately messing with the table's underside. 

My only real worry is that they likely do rub against it and could dislodge a cable, or on a dry day cause problems with static discharge.

That said, A cover (with a window for the ambient light sensor, of course) does seem like a good idea for new production. If a retro-fit option came available, I would be interested.

Right now my biggest cat problem is that I appear to have accidentally trained them that if they want attention, they should go lay on the table when I'm standing nearby. This is making it a lot harder to take good pictures of the sand!

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@dithermaster)
Contributor

With our 2 foot table, the cats were interested for about 2 days, and no longer are. For those first two days I wish the bottom had a cover, but now I'm less concerned.

rberteig reacted
ReplyQuote
(@mariechang)
Contributor

Need a bottom cover for sure!!!  ASAP

Cat can be unpredictable and they do chew on thin wire (like pet grass) or scratch electronic boards, the moving parts underneath (like some cat toy)

Don’t  wait until it’s too late.....  who’s responsible If any pet accidents or product damages for the electronic parts exposed design?

I have to closely watch my cat ever since it started moving (underneath has moving arm).  

Note: I follow my cat that’s how  I discovered the bottom were exposed without cover!?!

ReplyQuote
(@mariechang)
Contributor

Posted by: Bruce

We have this in our plans and will announce when available.

Bruce, Can we have an update for the problem? Any time soon? Any plan in effect?

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

@mariechang -

We did make changes to the way the Sisbot attaches to the table that will make attaching a bottom barrier easier. But we have had so few requests that other stuff pushed ahead of it priority-wise. Be assured that there are no hazardous voltages (12V only), and we will certainly replace your Sisbot if your cat manages to harm it. I see you put a request in at our support desk - we'll follow up from there (we may be able to figure an easy solution for you, but will need to know some specifics about the underside of your table). You should hear from us within a day or two.

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bryshome)
Contributor

I added a cover to mine using a piece of peg board. The existing mounts line up to the peg holes and the perforation provides airflow for electronics and tie downs for zip ties. I’m not a machinist so to provide spacing I used off-the-shelf #8-32 screws and nuts to provide spacing. Since the stock screws are pan head on the top (to clear the magnet arms) and use wing nuts on the bottom, you need to be careful in your spacing to minimize the remaining screw length at the top to provide movement clearance. The longer screws needed for spacing meant I needed to install with the head down. It is very sturdy and can support anything you may want to add since it’s a mid room power source.

With the additional space I may add an Echo Spot under the table to aide in mic reception. Btw, the power strip I added is Alexa controllable, and the outlet for the table is known as Sisyphus, but I don’t ever turn it off (except for its scheduled sleep time) so it’s a bit superfluous. Adding a power strip also adds a hidden outlet that is easy for the us to plug in devices to recharge when in the great room.

This post was modified 5 years ago 4 times by bryshome

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bryshome)
Contributor

Another pic of the spacing on the screws.

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bryshome)
Contributor

Another pic showing the side view and how clean the table looks after attaching everything to the peg board.

This post was modified 5 years ago by bryshome

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Very nice! Thanks for sharing this.

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@davidbrettmoon)
Contributor

Good evening,  

Was there ever a better solution from Sisyphus?  I just got my table 3 days ago. I absolutely love it but the exposed wires, lights and movement has created my cats arch nemesis. I have to turn the table off during the day and stack pillows around it when I’m at work. If there a retrofit that will protect underneath my table and potentially my cat? 

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

Sorry for delay in response - wanted to discuss with our fabrication team to see how close / far this is. It's close - we have a nice looking solution - just waiting for the finishing details that ensure it will be easy for users to install "in the field." Will announce when we have it ready in our parts store.

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
(@tjvarnadoe)
Contributor

Thanks Bruce! I just received my table today and got a little worried when my kitty took such an interest in the underside! Looking forward to seeing what ya got!

@meow_sisyphustable
>^..^<

Happily rolling in the sandbox since August 2021

IG @meow_sisyphustable
>^..^<

Happily rolling in the sandbox since August 2021

bernard8w and Bev reacted
ReplyQuote
(@nickknapton2002)
Contributor

Hey Bruce!

just wanted to check in on this development! Thanks

ReplyQuote
(@bruce)
Admin

We haven't forgotten this - just taking a while. But the a new addition to our shop tools is on its way - a vacuum former. This will enable us to create custom protective bottoms soon.

bernard8w reacted
ReplyQuote
Share:

We take your privacy seriously and will only use your personal information to provide you with the products and services you request from us. Please see our privacy policy for more details.

Search
    Your Cart
    Your cart is emptyReturn to Shop